TitleAnzac AvenueDescriptionIn 1921 Thomas Rothwell proposed an "Avenue of Honour" to commemorate the soldiers of WWI.Two cocos palms were donated by Mrs. Elizabeth Petrie (the widow of Tom Petrie) and were planted outside the entrance to the School of Arts on 2nd March 1925 by the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan. Mr T. Allsopp, the manager of the Acclimatisation Gardens, removed the palms from the "Murrumba" Residence and replanted them. This site contains the first tree plantings and commemorates the commencement of what is now commonly known as Anzac Avenue. A further 1800 trees were subsequently planted between Petrie and Redcliffe.
Source: Strathpine Library Local History files Location of originalAnzac Avenue, Petrie to Redcliffe, QueenslandOriginal format1 Road : bitumen road between Petrie and RedcliffeLanguageEnglish
Geo coords Geo addressAnzac Ave at Kinsellas Road/Mango Hill,Moreton Bay Region,Queensland,4509
Access restrictionsUnrestrictedRestrictions on useCopyright appliesConditions of usePhotograph PLHP1276 digitised from an original photograph www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/libraries. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement. To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Country across our region. We also acknowledge and pay our respects to the Kabi Kabi, Jinibara and Turrbal Traditional Custodians, and their elders past, present and emerging.