TitleSide view of Hay Cottage when it was a farmhouse at Rush Creek, near Dayboro in 1976DescriptionIn 1868, a major change in settlement commenced following the passing of the Crown Lands Alienation Act. This Act provided for the resumption of at least half of the leased areas of the major Queensland pastoral runs and the land freed up was then made available for selection. The prime areas of Whiteside and Samsonvale were soon subdivided and occupied. Ernest A.M. Goertz chose several selections along Rush Creek in 1868 and 1869. About 1872, he built a four-roomed cottage, constructed of red cedar and beech, with a detached kitchen. After it was sold to Charles Hay in 1879, it became known as Hay Cottage. It is one of the oldest surviving 19th century houses in the Pine Rivers Shire and it is a very good example of a typical farming house of the 1870s. When land was resumed in the Rush Creek area for Lake Samsonvale ca. 1970, Hay Cottage was relocated to its present site in Williams Street Dayboro, and faithfully restored to replicate its original condition. It is currently used as an outlet for arts and crafts.Date1976PhotographerArmstrong, JohnBrisbane College of Advanced Education studentsCollectorArmstrong, JohnRecord typePhotographFormat typePhysicalOriginal format colourBlack and whiteNotesOne of several photographs taken by John Armstrong and his students from the Brisbane College of Advanced Education. Selected photographs were used in the publication The National Estate of the Pine Rivers Shire - Historical Sites and Buildings.
Access restrictionsPhysical copy restrictedRestrictions on useRestrictions varyCopyright appliesConditions of useYou may print, copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement. [e.g. Image courtesy of Moreton Bay Regional Council, reference number PRLPC-P0001] To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution, contact email@example.com. Charges apply
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Side view of Hay Cottage when it was a farmhouse at Rush Creek, near Dayboro in 1976 (01/01/1976 - 31/12/1976),Moreton Bay Our Story, accessed 26 Nov 2022, https://ourstory.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/nodes/view/35729
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Country across our region. We also acknowledge and pay our respects to the Kabi Kabi, Jinibara and Turrbal Traditional Custodians, and their elders past, present and emerging.