Warning. Cloning this item will not retain its parent-child relationship.
- Map Collections
- Melva Welch Collection
- Moreton Bay Manuscript Collection
- Plan Collections
- First Nations
- Military History
- Oral Histories
- Caboolture Shire Council - Oral history program
- Moreton Bay Oral History Collection
- Pine Rivers Shire Council - Oral history program
- Redcliffe City Council - Oral history program
- What's New
Bribie Island (Qld.)
There are not many place names which perpetuate the names of convicts, but Bribie Island is one of them, according to Thomas Welby. Bribie may have been the man's nickname, although some give his name as Brieby. Some have suggested that he got his name from the way he bought privileges from the authorities. It seems he supplied them with fish. This story of how Bribie Island got its name has not been proven.
He was a basket maker and fish-trapper, and these skills seem to have made him a valued member of both white and Aboriginal societies. He took up with an Aboriginal woman, and when his term of sentence was about to expire ran away to live permanently with her and her tribe on the island. Other convicts found sanctuary there as well. When a convict went missing, it was common to hear it said around Brisbane Town that he was, 'Down with Bribie.' This became' 'Down at Bribie,' and so the island got its name.
"Bribie" was not the first white person to live with the natives on this island. John Oxley found Thomas Pamphlett and John Finnegan there in 1823 when he came looking for a site for a new convict settlement. They were two of a four-man crew who had sailed out of Sydney Heads to get cedar logs from the Illawarra district, but were blown way off course by a storm. One died at sea, but the three that were left eventually came ashore on Moreton Island. The Aboriginal people befriended them. In the following year, Oxley found the other member of their crew, Richard Parsons, also on Bribie Island.
A management plan for the conservation of the Bellara Earth Circle, Bribie Island / : by members of the Cultural Resource Management Class, U.Q.G.C
A proposal for the re-development of 170 hectares of the Dux Creek area in the Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island : submission to the Minister for Lands, The Honourable N. E. Hewett, M.L.A / by Bunny Industries.
Amateur Fishermenâ€™s Association of Queensland : official history 1904-1997 / [compiled by Eric Johnstone and Denny Field].
Birds of Bribie Island, Pumicestone Passage and environs / editors: Beverley M. Durrant, Ian C. MacRae ; writers and major contributors Frank Bigg ... [et al.].
Birthday girls at Bribie Island : a birthday party of the 'youthfully challenged" / by Warwick Outram.
Bongaree museum study : 2005 Stage 2 final report: development plan, concept design and business plan / by Genesis Productions [for] Caboolture Shire Council and Queensland Government.