TitleBrick firing kiln on St Helena IslandDescriptionThe kiln on St Helena Island was used to turn shells into lime. The St Helena Island penal establishment operated from 1867 to 1932. During this time, the island was first an expanding colonial penal establishment, then a maximum security gaol for men before becoming an aging prison and prison farm. Most remaining structures on the island were built by prison labour. One wooden building has been restored and houses a museum. This photograph was taken in 2004.Date2004PhotographerBudgen, Edward J.CollectorBudgen, Edward J.Record typePhotographFormat typeDigitalOriginal format colourColour
Geo coords Geo addressSaint Helena Island,4025,Australia
Access restrictionsRestrictedRestrictions on useRestrictions varyCopyright appliesConditions of useYou may print, copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement. [e.g. Image courtesy of City of Moreton Bay, reference number CLPC-P0001] High resolution copies are unavailable for this image. For permission to use this image for commercial purposes contact email@example.com.
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Country across our region. We also acknowledge and pay our respects to the Kabi Kabi, Jinibara and Turrbal Traditional Custodians, and their elders past, present and emerging.