TitleBleak House, Samford, ca. 1985DescriptionFront view of Bleak House at Samford. A paved path leads up to the front steps with gardens planted either side. A bullnose verandah spreads across the front of the house and down both sides. The gables and railings along the verandah are covered in intricate fretwork. Bleak House was originally a five-roomed cottage in Eastern Heights built in the 1860s. It was rebuilt by James Foote as a grand, two-storey mansion in the early 1890s, bought by his nephew Henry Smart Cribb after his death in 1895, before being partially demolished and moved in 1928 to make way for the Cribb Estate. The lower story survived in South Street Ipswich (Qld.) until 1985, when the house moved to Samford. There the new owners have restored it to its former glory.Dateca. 1985PhotographerSkinner, R.CollectorSkinner, R.Record typePhotographFormat typePhysicalOriginal format colourColour
Access restrictionsPhysical copy restrictedRestrictions on useRestrictions varyCopyright appliesConditions of useYou may print, copy or download images for private research. This image may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes with acknowledgement. [e.g. Image courtesy of City of Moreton Bay, reference number PRLPC-P0001] To obtain copies for commercial purposes or of a higher resolution, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Charges apply
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Country across our region. We also acknowledge and pay our respects to the Kabi Kabi, Jinibara and Turrbal Traditional Custodians, and their elders past, present and emerging.